Friday, February 17, 2012

Love Love Wall Art!

I needed a quick easy project to give me a bit of a boost this week. I have been working on a made by RAE Baby Sunsuit and its been very frustrating to say the least. I know I have to keep persevering with this sewing thing...

Embroidery hoop wall art is so easy to do. I was very pleased with my first attempt.



It also gave me a chance to experiment with appliqué. Firstly I tried appliquéing some of the birds onto the plain fabric using a dark grey cotton. It looked messy. I put it down for a day while I though about what else to try. Eventually I figured out that using shapes to make an object (a bird house) as well as using a lighter cotton produced a much neater and satisfactory result. Sewing finished!

Some lessons:
1. I ironed on some interfacing to the birdhouse before I appliquéd it to the main fabric. I also used a tacking stitch to hold it in place instead of pins. (I feel so stupid that I haven't utilised the tacking stitch more before now!)
2. I used double sided tape to stick the excess fabric to the inside of the hoop. This was super easy and much better than fiddling around with glue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share